Temperatures are rising. Another Summer heat wave is upon us. And, when it gets hot, we sweat! It’s our body’s cooling system to help us maintain our body’s temperature.
When this happens, while some may go au natural, others seek underarm deodorant and antiperspirant products that help to minimize sweat and odor. There are many products made with all natural and organic ingredients, products that are better for the body since chemicals and toxic ingredients can be absorbed through our skin. And, in this case, they can directly affect our lymph nodes and breast tissue.
Some ingredients often used in underarm deodorants and antiperspirants that can harm our bodies include:
- Aluminum Compounds – (eg. Aluminum chlorohydrate, aluminum zirconium) These ingredients are used to plug up sweat ducts so that we don’t perspire. Yet, they can be absorbed into the body, affect hormone levels, and can be carcinogenic.
- Fragrance – The terms “fragrance” and “parfum” can represent up to 3,500 chemicals.
- Parabens – (eg. methylparaben, benzylparaben, ethylparaben) Often used as artificial preservatives, these chemicals can affect hormonal levels and have been linked to breast cancer.
- Phthalate – Chemical compounds used to soften plastics and give products a smoother texture.
- Propylene Glycol – A petroleum-based ingredient that can cause neurotoxicity and liver and kidney damage.
- Silica – This ingredient has been linked to cancer and shown to irritate skin.
- Talc – An ingredient used to absorb moisture and can be carcinogenic.
- Triclosan – A chemical classified by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) as a pesticide and has been linked to cancer.
So, when you’re choosing deodorants and antiperspirants that are better for your body, be cognizant of the chemicals and artificial fragrances that may be listed in the product ingredients. Choose products that are free of toxic ingredients or try going au naturel. Your body will thank you for it :).