Incessant sneezing. Runny nose. Watery eyes. Asthmatic conditions. Itchy skin. Oh the signs and symptoms of allergies! With Spring on its way…this is the time we begin to brace ourselves for the onslaught of allergy-inducing culprits that oftentimes are pollen related.
But do you suffer from allergies year round? Could it be caused by dust and dust mites? Dust mites?! Those microscopic eight-legged creatures that dwell and accumulate in our beds, in our closets, in our furnishings, and in the warm and moist areas in our homes. They feed on dead skin flakes and their fecal matter, secretions and the mites can cause skin irritations and allergies.
So, what are some things we can do to mitigate our allergy symptoms year round? Here are a few tips that we’ve found helpful to reduce allergens and to improve our overall health and wellbeing:
- Invest in a HEPA air filter to better purify the air inside your home.
- Vacuum furnishings, sofas and sofa cushions, carpeting, mattresses, and floors regularly. If possible, vacuum daily to rid your home of dirt, dust, bugs, pollen, and allergy-causing culprits. Seal and dispose of the vacuum bag and contents immediately when you’re done. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter, whenever possible.
- Use protective covers for your mattresses and pillows to keep allergens out so that you can breathe easier and get a better night’s sleep.
- Wash bedding and clothing in hot water and dry in the hottest dryer setting possible.
- Let the sun shine in to kill bugs but cleaning is still necessary to rid the home of allergens.
So, with some thorough cleaning, decluttering, and preventive measures, we hope these tips can help you breathe easier all year round.
Thank you for being kind to your body!