Don’t mind those howling winds…we wanted to give you a burst of Spring 😀! Our refreshing facial mists can help you get in the Spring-time mood. Shop them at http://www.NaturallySusans.com or at West Elm on the Upper West Side !
Do you facial steam? We do. But not as often as we’d like. Incorporating facial steaming into your weekly skin care regimen can help keep skin clearer and give your skin that Spring-ready glow.
Overall, what can facial steaming do to help improve your complexion? Here are some benefits of facial steaming for the skin:
- Detoxify your skin and manage acne – Facial steaming can encourage perspiration that helps to lift bacteria, toxins, debris, dead skin cells, and excess sebum, unclogging pores and reducing breakouts.
- Get your glow on – The heat from facial steaming can help to enhance hydration, increase blood flow, and stimulate circulation to give your face a skin-healthy glow.
- Reduce blackheads. – If you have trouble with unsightly blackheads, facial steaming can help to alleviate this condition by softening blackheads, allowing for easier removal and elimination.
- Softens dead skin cells – This aids in the sloughing of stubborn rough, dry skin and allows skin to regenerate, letting younger, fresher skin shine through.
- Better absorption of skin care treatments. – Facial steaming can help to eliminate buildup and remove barriers, allowing treatments to penetrate deeper and more effectively into the skin.
- Relaxes and de-stresses – Sit back and enjoy some quality time. Facial steaming is a great at-home treat to help you decompress after a busy work week.
If you don’t have a facial steamer at home, you can use the hot towel method or the “steam tent” method. We like to use the “steam tent” method because with this method we can add herbs, flowers, and/or essential oils to the water bowl and breathe in the amazing scents for some body-relaxing aromatherapy.
Are you ready to facial steam? What you’ll need is a wide-rimmed bowl, a bath towel, 4-6 cups of boiling water, and herbs, flower petals, and/or essentials oils of your choice. First, secure your hair back. Pour the boiling water into the bowl, add herbs, flower petals, and 2-3 drops of essential oils of your choosing. Then, drape the bath towel over your head, creating a “tent” to trap and focus the steam onto your face. Keep your face about 6-8 inches above the water, far enough so that the steam doesn’t burn your skin. Steam for about 10-15 minutes, rinse face after steaming, and pat dry with a towel. If you do this weekly, you’ll notice a difference in your skin.
Depending on your skin type, some essential oil ingredients that you can add to the bowl to enhance the steaming benefits are:
- Dry skin: lavender, rose, calendula, roman/German chamomile, neroli
- Oily skin: rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, patchouli
- Mature skin: rooibos, rose, frankincense, carrot seed oil
- Acneic skin: tea tree oil, turmeric, lavender, clary sage
So, enjoy some relaxation time and happy home-spa pampering!
*** Please note, if you have overly sensitive skin, rosacea, are prone to fungal infections, or are pregnant or breastfeeding, please seek the advice of your medical practitioner before doing facial steaming.
Spring is almost here! And, what comes to mind? All the colorful and aromatic flowers that will blossom. Colors and scents affect our thoughts and moods in different ways. Does the smell of lavender soothe your mind? Does citrus brighten your mood? Does eucalyptus invigorate your senses?
For some mood enhancing, here are some essential oils that tend to bring about certain aromatherapy benefits:
- Calm: Lavender, Chamomile, & Vanilla
- Confidence: Jasmine, Bergamot, & Grapefruit
- Energy: Rosemary, Peppermint, & Ginger
- Happiness: Ylang Ylang, Rose, & Bergamot
Each of us respond to aromas differently, so explore various scents to determine the ones that work best for you. If you plan to apply them to your skin, it’s best to use pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils, not products made with synthetic ingredients. Please do not apply essential oils directly onto your skin. It’s best to dilute them with a carrier oil such as jojoba or almond oil before applying to the skin. Or, place the essential oils in a diffuser so that the aromas fill the air.
So, try the essential oils that suit your mood. And, have some happy pampering!
Join us for a fun-filled day at QBG’s 4th Annual Arbor Festival.
Enjoy a variety of activities for all ages including a petting zoo, arts and crafts, live music, facepainting, tours, food and craft vendors, consultations with tree and compost experts, and a beer tent!
Sunday, April 27, 2014
11am to 6pm
43-50 Main Street, Flushing, NY 11355
The days seem to get busier and busier. And, rarely do we have time to do our favorite things. Yet, it’s important to take a break. To recharge with some “Me” time.
Now that Spring is here, there are many events celebrating and showcasing botanicals. Flowers inspire us and you’ll see more of their influence and beauty in our upcoming products.
We recently had the opportunity to explore Macy’s Flower Show ~ The Secret Garden. And, we’ll be participating at the Queens Botanical Garden’s 4th Annual Arbor Festival.
If you love flowers and gardens, we hope to see you there and experience our new products in person. Stay tuned for their debut…
What inspires you? Let us know.