Foods to get you in the mood…the mood to exercise that is. As warmer Spring weather arrives and we begin to enjoy more outdoor activities, we often think about eating better and getting into shape. But working out requires energy. So, what are we to do to get ourselves motivated? We can begin by incorporating certain energy-boosting foods into our diet, so we rounded up some foods that can provide the body sustained energy and enhance your mood to get you going.
Here are some delicious and great energy-boosting foods:
- Eggs: A good source of protein and iron to produce hemoglobin that carries oxygen to the blood.
- Kale and Leafy Greens: High in folate, a naturally-occurring B vitamin, these types of vegetables have been shown to combat depression, promote cell growth, and provide vitamins and minerals for a healthy body.
- Ginger: Stimulates circulation, boosts the immune system, and can give your body a lift when it’s feeling low.
- Nuts: Magnesium-rich almonds, cashews, and other nuts can offer the body sustainable energy for the day.
- Goji Berries: These little reddish-colored berries are a superfood that can help to manage stress and boost mood and maintain energy levels.
- Raw Cacao: A great source of iron and antioxidants for the body and has been shown to reduce stress hormones.
- Water: By staying hydrated, this prevents the body from feeling lethargic. Drinking 40-60 ounces of water daily keeps the body well-hydrated and flushes out toxins.
Happy Spring! And, thank you for being kind to your body!